Essential oils are plant extracts that are extremely powerful, very potent and although highly concentrated, can have a significant impact on your body. For this reason, it's best to speak to a qualified professional before applying essential oils directly (and undiluted) onto your skin.
The benefits associated with using essential oils are bountiful, especially if used during pregnancy. There are many reports of essential oils aiding in the relief of pregnancy-related issues including nausea, swollen ankles and aches and pains. Essential oils can also help you feel relaxed, calm and balanced. Alternatively, if you need a punch of energy, there are a variety of oils to help boost your vitality and help to make you feel energised and uplifted.
Here are some pregnancy safe oils:
- Orange: This essential oil is said to make you feel joyous, calm and uplifted.
- Lavender: Safe for use after 12-weeks, lavender is a great oil to feel serene, relaxed and balanced. It also eases pregnancy aches and pains and reduces fluid retention.
- Neroli: For those experiencing anxiety or pregnancy nerves, neroli is said to help you feel relaxed and tranquil. It also boosts your skin cell regeneration so you look and feel great too.
- Eucalyptus: This oil is fabulous if you’re feeling a little congested as it acts as an anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antiviral to ease symptoms of respiratory congestion.
- Tea tree oil: To be used only during pregnancy and not during labour, tea tree oil is an antifungal and antiviral oil that helps ease the symptoms of thrush during pregnancy.
- Sandalwood is a natural sedative and anti-depressant and also eases cystitis during pregnancy.