Trap pain is classic stress pain. Your shoulders ache, your neck hurts and it is often deep and achy. You may have a headache, especially in the temples or behind your eyes or at the base of your skull. You may feel burning between your shoulder blades after sitting at your computer without elbow support.
So what causes it and what can you do?
- Sit up straight. Your mother was right! Bad, slouching posture is a big culprit.
- Carry a heavy bag over one shoulder. Check your handbag/nappy bag and try to eliminate things that are not essential. Alternatively get a backpack.
- Stress! Breath, relax your shoulders, try to shake your body loose when the panic sets in. Try to have a daily ritual where you consciously unwind, whether it be a bath, exercise or even a well deserved glass of wine! (Sorry preggies!!) Schedule a massage (Massage Mama comes to your home so you can maximize your me time!)
- Bad bras. Check your bra size with a professional, particularly during the pre & postnatal period there are lots of changes and your bra may be working against you at this point.
- Incorrect baby feeding position. Make sure baby is well supported on a ergonomic feeding pillow and use extra pillows under your elbows for support.
- Sleeping on your tummy. I know it feels wonderful, I'm very guilty of this one myself, but it's terrible for your neck. If you have a tendency to roll in your sleep, pop a pillow between your knees in a side lying position. It'll stop you rolling and actually provides excellent support for your hips, saving your lower back from twisting while you sleep.
- Poor positioning at your desk. Google it if you need some tips and pay attention to what heights feel comfortable. You should be sitting straight and comfortably, supported by your chair. The keyboard at a good height so your neck is not bent and your elbows supported by armrests.
- Pregnancy back pain is unfortunately fairly common. Stretching, yoga and pregnancy massage are very helpful to manage and minimize it, but with the growing belly and loosening ligaments some discomfort is not unusual.
Massage Mama offers a range of relaxing massage treatments in the comfort and convenience of your home.